The Ugly Truth about Diversity Initiatives
La’Wana Harris, a Certified Diversity Executive and an ICF Credentialed Coach who has created diversity and inclusion awareness programs, cultural competence programs, and overall integrated management solutions joins Enterprise Radio. She is the author of Diversity Beyond Lip Service: A Coaching Guide for Challenging Bias.
This episode of Enterprise Radio is working in conjunction with the Author Channel.
Listen to host Eric Dye & guest La’Wana Harris discuss the following:
- What inspired you to write Diversity Beyond Lip Service?
- What’s the “elephant in the room” when it comes to diversity work?
- Why do people in positions of privilege have such a hard time seeing it?
- As a society, we’ve been talking about diversity and inclusion for decades. Why aren’t we further along?
- You write about the concept of sharing power. What does this look like?
- What types of lip service do employees contend with in the workplace?
- You stress that hiring for diversity, without increasing inclusion, is a recipe for failure. What steps can businesses take to avoid this fate?
- You explain that privilege, as a concept, extends to many social identity groups. What are a few examples?
- Many people use the phrase “I don’t see color.” But you stress that these words are harmful and minimize others’ experiences. Could you explain more?
- Your book is based on a six-step COMMIT model. How does it work?
- What is your vision for this book? Who is it written for?
- You describe your book as a coaching guide. In what ways will readers find it to be different?
- What’s the one piece of advice you hope readers take from your book?
La’Wana Harris is a Certified Diversity Executive and an ICF Credentialed Coach who has created diversity and inclusion awareness programs, cultural competence programs, and overall integrated management solutions.
Throughout her career as a global leadership development professional, she has conducted trainings around the world, including the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, and South Africa. She is the author of Diversity Beyond Lip Service: A Coaching Guide for Challenging Bias.
People also listened to this: Expert Courage Building Tips to Keep Employees from Playing It Safe