Operation Smile: Making a Difference in People’s Lives
Indiana Siu, the Regional Director at Operation Smile that has provided hundreds of thousands of safe surgeries for those born with cleft lip and cleft palate joins Enterprise Radio. Indiana is the Director covering the regions of Central America and the Caribbean.
Listen to host Eric Dye & guest Indiana Siu discuss the following:
- Tell us about yourself. How did you become involved with Operation Smile and what was your path to becoming the Regional Director for Latin America?
- What were the main challenges Operation Smile faced during COVID-19?
- What are the current challenges the virus is presenting in Latin America and how has Operation Smile had to change its operations to deal with it?
- What have you learned about Leadership during the trials and tribulations of the last 18 months?
- A lot of work went virtual during COVID-19. How did Operation Smile adjust to the virtual environment? Are there aspects that will remain virtual even as certain parts of life return to normal?
- What are the main initiatives Operation Smile is currently undertaking in Latin America?
- How does Operation Smile work with ministries of health? What types of projects are you collaborating on? Are Ministries of Health willing to work with NGOs and other organizations?
- Operation Smile has stated that its goal is not only to provide holistic care for patients with cleft conditions but to also help build more robust health systems. How is Operation Smile attacking that ambitious goal? What does that look like in Latin America?
- What motivates you to carry out this type of work? What advice do you have for others seeking roles in the nonprofit space?
Operation Smile is a global surgical nonprofit that improves the health and dignity of patients living with cleft lip and cleft palate in low- and middle-income countries. Since 1982, Operation Smile has been committed to providing patients with health that lasts through life-saving cleft surgeries and comprehensive care, helping them to better breathe, eat, speak and live lives of greater quality and confidence. Its training and education programs elevate safe surgical standards and strengthen a global network to reach more people earlier in their lives. Learn more at www.operationsmile.org or by following @operationsmile on social media.
People also listened to this: Dallas-based Start-Up Bloom Health Partners, born in the midst of the pandemic