Thinking about planning a trip to one of the most exquisite tourist destinations in the world? Want to make sure that you get a slice of Europe on your travel plate this time? Well, then you simply cannot say no to taking a tour of Milan. One of the foremost and popular cities of Italy, it is a favored tourist destination for all those who like to vacation in style. So, if you have a luxurious and not to mention a scenic holiday in mind, Milan should be on the top of your list! To have a full experience and for you to communicate with the locals add learning, even basic Italian to your list using The Intrepid Guide.
A little bit about Milan
Milan is known for various reasons and the most important one being that it is one of the most fashionable cities in the world, with all the world-famous fashion brands and their stores, lining the city streets. It has a rather interesting history of its own as well. It was initially not a part of the Roman Empire but became one eventually after it was annexed. The city grew into a hub of public meetings, the remains of which are visible even today in the many ruins of the century-old buildings found in various corners of Milan. It is important that when it comes to looking for Best hotels in Milan you find something which is located in the heart of the city so that you can take a walk and visit some of these ruins. Coming back to the history, Milan was once the capital of the Roman Empire when it was bifurcated into two regions. All in all, Milan has both a rich cultural heritage and an invigorating fashion of modern times, making it one the most sought after tourist destinations in the world.
So, what are the places that you should visit when in Milan?
Let’s take a look:
- Milan Cathedral: Want to visit the 5th largest cathedral in the world? Well, then you should definitely visit the Milan Cathedral once! This cathedral is meant for Saint Mary Nascent and its beautiful interiors are what captures the attention of many. In fact, the carved statues of marble on the outside of the structure make it a picture-perfect location. Located in the Piazza del Duomo, the cathedral remains open from 9 in the morning to 7 in the evening and you can drop in here any time of the day for a quiet and contemplative time.
- QuadrilateroD’Oro: No trip to Milan can ever be complete without taking a walk down the most fashionable street in the city. The gorgeous narrow street is lined with the stores of some of the most famous brands in the world. This is spread over quite a large part of the city and walking here is something that every fashion lover should try out at least once. And the best part, night time is the best time to stroll through this corner of the city!
- La Scala: Designed by Giuseppe Piermarini, this opera house is one of the most prominent tourist locations in the country. It was built in the spirit of the neoclassical style of art and is a major attraction for all those who are planning a trip to Milan. The lush interiors and the sheer positive elitism that this place boasts of making it one of the luxurious of interiors. In fact, there can be nothing better than catching a show here, but do remember that the tickets are going to be expensive. In fact, as a tourist destination, Milan is expensive and hence you need to prepare accordingly, whether it comes to finding the right hotels in Milan to even commuting within the city.
- Piazza Dei Mercanti: Milan has quite a flourishing nightlife. And this is one of the most happening centers of the city. There are quite a few ruins of the medieval times that are still scattered in this part of the city. And hence this is a must-visit place for those who love archaeological findings and medieval ruins. The smell of the European medieval times permeates through these alleys of this part of the city. And the best part – this place is best explored at night. So if you are thinking about pulling an all-nighter in Milan, then this is the place to be.
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II: Are you interested in exploring one of the oldest shopping malls in the world? Well, it is no surprise that Milan, being amongst the fashion centers of the world you will bump into interesting fashion malls and shops here. The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is one of the oldest in the world and one of the first few to be built within an enclosed space. The floors are paved with marble and it was built sometime around the 1800s. So, if you are interested in a heritage shopping mall experience, then this is one place that you cannot afford to miss.
Things to note when visiting Milan
Well, there are a few key pointers that you have to take note of when visiting Milan. For starters, you will have to get your flight bookings done well beforehand, for a simple reason that the fares will be lower and you will be able to enjoy a good experience at a fair price. The earlier you make your reservations; you will also be able to enjoy exciting discounts and offers when it comes to booking a hotel. Remember, that Milan is a much sought after tourist destination in the world and hence tourists keep on pouring in, in numbers around the year and it is because of this you will have to make your reservations early so that you get the hotel that you want. Milan is a luxurious holiday destination, and hence, when you plan your holiday, make sure your expenses are covered accordingly. Make a travel budget and then based on that plan the places that you visit.
So, Milan has a lot to offer to its tourists. Whether you want to be on your toes or enjoy a time lazing around, then there is hardly any better place than Milan!