The Most In-Demand Programming Language for the Future: How SQL Can Open Doors
Walter Shields, an SQL mentor, author, and data management entrepreneur with over twenty years of experience in the field joins Enterprise Radio.
Shields is currently the principle of Datadecided, a Tableau provider that helps businesses of all sizes communicate and understand their data in a visual medium.
Listen to host Eric Dye & guest Walter Shields discuss the following:
- In your new book you have said that SQL is ”one of the most in demand coding languages” and “the gold standard for database administration.” What is SQL and do you think this trend will continue?
- In demand and easy to learn are two different things entirely. Are the benefits of having SQL on your resume worth the time it takes to learn the language?
- If SQL is so easy to learn, why does it seem like there is such a large pool of people who are not familiar with the language?
- Some programming languages seem to come and go. Why do you believe that SQL is here to stay?
- If someone listening wants to pick up a copy of your newest book SQL QuickStart Guide, are there any programming prerequisites they should already have under their belts?
Walter Shields is an SQL mentor, author, and data management entrepreneur with over twenty years of experience in the field. In the past Shields has worked with such notable partners as the Target Corporation, the NYC Transit Authority, and the NYC Administration for Children’s Services.
As his own mastery of SQL and data management grew, Walter saw others struggling to keep pace in their own professional journeys. Inspired by his mother’s gift for patient teaching, one day he opened his laptop in a busy Tribeca coffee shop and began tutoring students in a one-on-one environment.
Now over a decade later, Walter’s side project as a teacher has outgrown the coffee shop. Between his new book SQL QuickStart Guide and his SQL Training Wheels online course series, Walter has reached countless thrilled students. Walter Shields is currently the principle of Datadecided, a Tableau provider that helps businesses of all sizes communicate and understand their data in a visual medium.
His new book is SQL QuickStart Guide: The Simplified Beginner’s Guide to Managing, Analyzing, and Manipulating Data with SQL is available now and published by ClydeBank Media.
SQL QuickStart Course: campus.clydebankmedia.com/courses/sql-quickstart-course
ClydeBank Media: www.clydebankmedia.com
Walter’s Book: amazon.com/SQL-QuickStart-Guide-SimplifiedManipulating/dp/1945051752
People also listened to this: Delving into Sustainable Kitchens and Interior Joinery