Rabbi Mendel Kastel: Leading a crisis centre into the digital age
Rabbi Mendel Kastel, who is leading the Sydney-based crisis centre, Jewish House, into the digital age igniting technology solutions joins Enterprise Radio.
Listen to host Eric Dye & guest Rabbi Mendel Kastel discuss the following:
- Please tell the audience a bit about your background and how you came to become the CEO of Jewish House?
- In your experience, what have been some innovations globally that you feel could possibly solve the issue of homelessness?
- Many large tech companies are putting funding towards solving homelessness, particularly in Silicon Valley, what do you see as the biggest barriers that they face?
- What excites you about the future of technology in the not for profit space?
- Can you tell us a bit about your upcoming project in Australia where an app is being rolled out to connect the general public to their local communities?
Rabbi Kastel joined the Jewish House at the beginning of 2008. He has been providing Rabbinic expertise to the Sydney community for over 20 years. His deep community and social welfare experience, passion for the cause and collaborative approach has seen Jewish House grow and continue to develop. Both he and Jewish House are well recognised for applying innovative best practices to the provision of expert crisis services in the Sydney community.J
Jewish House is like the community ambulance, because it is also a service where clients are picked up and directed on to services that can help to heal a client or resolve his or her crisis. Whether it is through providing 2 weeks of crisis accommodation and then locating long term accommodation for clients; or by taking a call from a client in distress and directing them to the institutions that can assist them financially and medically, the Jewish House is there to take a person from crisis to stability.
Each service provided by Jewish House and as described in this section is unique because it is interlinked with the other services. In no other crisis accommodation are psychologists located on site and ready to help anyone who requires it. No other crisis call line will take such a wide range of problems on their call lines.
For this reason the Jewish House services are attracting academic attention and fast becoming a leader in the field of crisis care.
Our services include: 24/7 Crisis Line, Crisis Accommodation, Counselling, Pastoral Care, Chaplaincy, Financial Counselling, Mediation and Resource Centre for Homeless.
People also listened to this: A winning company culture begins by putting the customer first