Makers Market, a purveyor of American made goods for a new generation
Suzy Ekman, from the San Francisco Bay Area, the Founder and CEO of Makers Market, a purveyor of American made goods for a new generation joins Enterprise Radio.
With an eCommerce site, Makers Market has four brick and mortar stores, and monthly outdoor craft markets around the Bay, involving thousands of artists, designers and creators.
Listen to host Eric Dye & guest Suzy Ekman discuss the following:
- We talked to you in 2016, but for those new to your company, can you give us a brief overview of your background and Makers Market?
- You’ve grown from 1 to 4 stores since we last talked, in the most prestigious shopping districts in the San Francisco Bay Area. Can you tell us a bit about them… how did you decide on these locations?
- Why do you think your stores have resonated so well with customers? What is unique about Makers Market?
- You’ve gotten a lot of press lately – which normally we don’t see for a small business. Dwell Magazine named Makers Market one of the top 4 American retailers, for the last few years you’ve been on USA Today’s 4-person expert panel (along with big names like Etsy and Kickstarter) to select the Top 10 Makers in America. Makers Market was selected as Best Retailer by San Francisco Magazine. You were selected to be a National Curator for the American Craft Council. And you were also selected as one of 100 Most Influential Women in the Silicon Valley by Silicon Valley Magazine. How did you receive so much coverage? Do you have an outside PR firm?
- So what are your plans for the next few years? Do you see Makers Market being the size it is now or will you expand?
- What is your Tip for other Entrepreneurs?
Suzy Ekman has dedicated her career to American-made products.
Raised in the Deep South, she spent precious time in her father’s workshop learning, making, and listening to stories. Trips through the countryside discovering potters, blacksmiths, and textile weavers, instilled a deep appreciation for makers who create beautiful product with their hands.
This early-life exposure, combined with decades of Executive management in US Manufacturing companies led to the launch of Makers Market.
Makers Market was founded on the idea of modernizing and keeping American-made goods alive for a new generation: goods that are authentic, well-designed, and sustainably produced. Makers Market celebrates the resurgence of the country’s maker movement, with its nostalgic, general store vibe and online at http://makersmarket.us.
People also listened to this: Gratitude in The Workplace with Kerry Wekelo