How to Find SEO Keywords for Your Business
One of the most important aspects of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is choosing the right keywords to target for your business. The wrong keywords can mean wasted time and money, while the right keywords can generate a steady stream of targeted traffic to your website.
Here are a few tips on how to find the right SEO keywords for your business:
- Start with keyword research. This is the process of finding and assessing the keywords that are most relevant to your business. There are a number of different tools you can use for keyword research, such as Google AdWords Keyword Planner and Wordtracker.
- Use keyword data to create targeted content. Once you have a list of relevant keywords, you can use them to create targeted content for your website. This could be in the form of blog posts, articles, or even product descriptions.
- Use keyword data to improve your website’s SEO. In addition to using keywords in your content, you can also use them to improve your website’s overall SEO. This includes things like optimizing your title tags and meta descriptions to include the keywords you’ve targeted.
- Monitor your progress. Once you’ve implemented some of these tips, it’s important to monitor your progress to see how well your website is doing in the search results. You can do this by using tools like Google Analytics and Search Console.
By following these tips, you can find the right SEO keywords for your business and start seeing some real results.
Why SEO Keywords are Important?
SEO keywords are important for two reasons. First, they are used by search engines to index and rank your website. Second, they help potential customers find your website when they are searching for the products or services you offer.
If you want to rank for a keyword, you need to have it on the page.
If you want your website to be successful, it’s important to choose the right keywords and use them effectively. By doing this, you can improve your website’s ranking in the search results and drive more targeted traffic to your site.
**Generate a list of SEO keywords**
The first step in finding the right SEO keywords for your business is to generate a list of keywords. There are a number of different tools you can use for keyword research, such as Google AdWords Keyword Planner and Wordtracker.
When you’re generating a list of keywords, it’s important to think about the different ways people might search for your business. For example, if you own a pet store, someone might search for “pet store” or “buy dog food.”
Keywords Often Similar Follow Patterns
If you were a security camera installation company, here is what these opportunities would look like for you:
- Keyword + Location (for example, Security Camera Installation Toronto page)
- Brand + Service + Location (Ubiquiti Security Camera Installations)
- Client Type + Keyword + Location (Commercial Security Camera Installations)
But if you imagine that you are a beauty salon, these keywords would apply to you as well, replace the word Security Camera Installations with Facial and you’ll see that this formula still works.
In most industries keyword opportunities are similar. This means that if you can identify a pattern for one keyword, chances are you can find others like it.
Some common patterns include:
- Keyword + location: For example, “plumber Toronto” or “electrician New York.”
- Brand + service + location: For example, “GEICO car insurance” or “AT&T cell phone plans.”
- Client type + keyword + location: For example, “Commercial Electrician Toronto” or “Commercial Security Camera Installation Toronto.”
Are Keywords for eCommerce Different?
Oftentimes, when searching for eCommerce keywords consumers don’t search for a specific city, but rather a country. “Near me” is often replaced with “buy online”. In addition, in some industries category pages may be more popular vs product pages for example:
- Keyword + Buy Online (Lotion Buy Online)
- Brand + Locations (Dr. Ceuracle Canada – category page rankings)
- Product name (e.g. – Korean Red Ginseng Drink – product page rankings)
What to do With the Keywords?
Once you have a list of keywords, you can use them to create targeted content for your website. This could be in the form of blog posts, articles, product descriptions, or even landing pages.
When you’re creating this content, it’s important to focus on quality over quantity. This means that you should aim for fewer, longer pieces of content that are packed with information and keywords.
It’s also important to make sure that your keywords are used in a natural way. This means that they should flow smoothly with the rest of the text and not feel like they’re forced in.
If you stuff your content full of keywords, it’s not only going to be unpleasant for people to read, but it will also likely get penalized by Google.
How to Optimize Your Website for SEO
After you’ve created targeted, keyword-rich content for your website, it’s time to start optimizing the rest of your site for SEO.
This includes things like:
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly
- Improving your page speed
- Optimizing your title tags and meta descriptions
- Adding alt text to your images
- And much much more
By taking care of keywords and these on-site SEO factors, you can help improve your website’s ranking in the search results and drive more targeted traffic to your site.
About the Author: Sasha Matviienko is an entrepreneur, public speaker, and founder of growth360 – a Digital Marketing agency, located in Toronto.