Helping support women artisans around the world
Gretchen Huijskens and her daughter Elisabeth Huijskens, Founders of Trades of Hope, an ethical, fair trade fashion brand that empowers women around the world out of poverty joins Enterprise Radio.
Listen to host Eric Dye & guests Gretchen Huijskens and Elisabeth Huijskens discuss the following:
- What inspired you to start ethical fashion brand, Trades of Hope?
- How does Trades of Hope help support women (Artisans) around the world?
- Why do you feel that conscious sustainable business is so important?
- Trades of Hope has helped over 7,000 women (Compassionate Entrepreneurs) in the U.S. find work that’s purposeful. How can our listeners take the first step in becoming a Compassionate Entrepreneur with Trades of Hope, and make empowering women their side gigs?
- Trades of Hope features beautiful handmade accessories and home decor. Can you tell us about your Summer 2019 collection?
- Trades of Hope has changed so many lives. Can you share an Artisan & Compassionate Entrepreneur success story?
- Can you tell us about your Gifts of Hope program?
Gretchen Huijskens and her daughter Elisabeth Huijskens founded ethical, fair trade fashion brand Trades of Hope in 2010 to create jobs for women around the world and alleviate the hardships and break the cycle of multi-generational poverty, that occurs from lack of opportunity. Trades of Hope helps by marketing their global Artisans beautiful handmade designs with the support of women in the U. S. (Compassionate Entrepreneurs), who earn commission from their sales and make empowering women their side gigs. This beautiful partnership between the Compassionate Entrepreneurs and the Artisans around the world empowers both sides of women, as they work, earn and grow together.
To date, Trades of Hope has been successful in giving a community of over 7,000 women work that’s purposeful in the ethical fashion space. Gretchen & Elisabeth built Trades of Hope on the belief of sustainable business and their company has made a positive impact by changing thousands of lives in 16 countries worldwide: impacting 56,212 lives last year. Gretchen & Elisabeth’s vision, desire and conscious actions to help women and create jobs around the world became a reality. Trades of Hope’s Purchase with Purpose movement exists to help mothers keep their children, protect them and provide for a brighter future.
Trades of Hope recently launched their Summer 2019 line. The Summer collection features nine original pieces. Each piece is designed by women (Artisans) from five different countries, Haiti, Thailand, the Philippines, Guatemala and India. The Laguna Silk Kimono is the centerpiece of Trades of Hope’s Summer 2019 collection. The cotton and silk kimono is entirely dyed using local plants and flowers and then hand woven just as their Mayan ancestors did hundreds of years ago. In Guatemala, women struggle through abuse, poverty, and heartache. But these Artisans are now becoming proud business women! By utilizing their traditional skills, they are able to create beautiful products that reflect their culture. They can provide for their families at home rather than leaving in search of work and can also send their children to school to pursue their dreams.
People also listened to this: Why Clean Origin is Winning Over Millennial Engagement Shoppers