Determining Which Instant Pot You Need
To run an efficient kitchen, it is necessary to have a certain set of items present and prepared for use. Of course, this includes very basic items such as spoons, bowls, measuring devices, pots, pans, and utensils. However, there are also quite a few appliances that must be present. This includes the classics such as an oven, range top, blender, crockpot, toaster, microwave, and several others. In recent years, it has become necessary to have even more appliances to handle very specific areas of cooking. This often includes a waffle iron, a griddle, dehydrator, and several others. There have been many new and amazing appliances invented in the past few decades. Among these new, shiny, and incredibly useful appliances is the instant pot. This device is very similar in design to a crockpot, but is much more efficient. Not to mention how many different types of food you can use it for. What used to take all day to prepare, now only takes a few minutes to get the instant pot ready and then a matter of minutes or hours for the pot to do its job. The length of time required will vary depending on the type of food you are preparing, but nothing takes over a few hours to prepare. Now that the instant pot has become so integral kitchens everywhere, there are more models than ever before. Each model has its perks, but not everyone will be right for each person. Now that you have decided to purchase an instant pot, it has come time to decide which model is right for you. Here, you will find a list of popular models along with their pro and cons to help you make an informed decision.
Here is a list of popular instant pot models.
- Duo – This model is considered to be one of the most popular models currently in production. It ranks third in popularity. This particular model does not work with the Instant Pot Smart app, though it has many benefits that compensate this. While all instant pots can make a wide variety of different foods, this model even has the ability to make yogurt. It also has two pressure settings, high and low, as well as slots in the handle designed to hold the lid so that you do not have to rest it on a countertop or something similar.
- Duo Plus – This is an updated model of the Duo. Whereas the Duo was a 7-in-1 cooker, the Duo Plus is a 9-in-1 cooker. This model has new features and settings including an egg and a cake setting. There is also a new “sterilize” feature. The updated display allows the user to easily determine if the beeping alarm is turned on or off, if the pot is heating correctly, warming time, and so much more.
- SMART + App – This particular model is very similar to to the Duo plus, but has the advantage of functioning in conjunction with the Instant Pot Smart app. This app allows the user to control and dictate many features of the pot directly from their phone or other mobile device. This includes the temperature, and the length of the program. The app connects directly to the instant pot via a bluetooth connection. There is no other device that provide this level of control.
- LUX – This is a 6-in-1 model that is very popular. It is basic model and is considered to be the economy version. This model is not compatible with the smart app, nor does it have a low pressure setting. It also does not have the ability to make yogurt. This is a very useful tool, but it does not have as many features as other models.
- Ultra – The biggest pull for this model is its incredible level of customization. The timer can be set anywhere between one minute and six hours. The pressure can be set on high or low. Delay timers can be engaged. Also, the keep warm setting can be set to automatically engage at a predetermined time. This is one of the most versatile models as it is a 10-in-1. This means that this model has all of the features from all of the previously mentioned models as well as new features.
- GEM – This model is completely different from every other instant pot model. Unlike every other model, the GEM does not have any pressure cooking settings or functions. While this model is a multi cooker, it is incredibly similar to a slow cooker in nature. This model can perform the following functions, stew, bake, roast, steam, slow cook, saute, and rice cook. At one point, this particular model was recalled due to a manufacturing error.
If none of these options sound like what you are looking for, there are several store exclusive models that may be to your liking. First, there is a QVC exclusive called VIVA. This is essentially the third version of the Duo. It is often referred to as the Duo V3. This model has all of the same features as the original Duo with a few new additions. This version has an egg setting as well as a cake setting. It also features the sterilize setting from the second version of the Duo. The second store exclusive if specific to Costco. This model is called Nova Plus. This is a hybrid model of the Duo and the Duo Plus. Even though this model is marketed as a 9-in-1 it only has seven functions. Several of the features that were added to the Duo plus, are removed from this model. This includes the egg and cake settings as well as the sterilize feature. Also, there are different sizes to choose from. There is a three quart, six quart, and an eight quart.
There are several things to look at to make the decision easier. The two main considerations are price and functions. Most people have very specific needs when it comes to using an instant pot and this is generally one of the main deciding factors. If you do not need many settings, a LUX or Duo will fit your needs, but if you are looking for a wide range of functions you will want a SMART or Ultra. Price is another very big consideration. In general, Instant Pots are not cheap, but different models and different sizes have different price tags. If you are on a tight budget, a three quart LUX will be your cheapest option. Also, be sure to choose a model that will fit the size needs of your family.