Cutting Edge Tech and Entrepreneurship in the Mental Health Space
Technology is always improving at an incredibly fast pace, and the rapid increase of technology is having an influence on quite literally every aspect of our lives. One might not think that the field of counseling and therapy would be hugely impacted by technology, but this isn’t the case.
One of the most recent additions in the world of counseling and therapy is the introduction of counseling apps. These apps allow people to connect with counselors and therapists all over the globe, from the comfort of their own home or while they’re on the go.
In this article we’re going to talk about the pros and cons of telehealth apps so you can decide for yourself whether this technological innovation is a good idea for you.
What Are Telehealth Apps?
Telehealth apps and e-counseling apps are a form of app that can be loaded onto a smartphone, tablet, or other smart device that allow you access to telehealth or online counseling services.
These services allow you to link up with qualified counselors, schedule appointments, and look at information from past counseling sessions all in the convenience of a single app. These apps usually allow you to connect with these counselors via voice (through your phone) or video (using a webcam or the camera in your smart device).
There are a number of benefits and drawbacks to using this type of service to find help for your mental health issues.
- Telehealth apps allow you to seek help anywhere, at anytime. This is particularly useful for people who have very busy schedules.
- Telehealth apps make things more accessible. This is great for people with physical or mental disabilities that prevent them from leaving the house, and also for individuals who live in country or rural areas where there are no therapists.
- Telehealth apps usually allow you to connect with counselors for a comparable, or cheaper price than you would pay in person.
- Some people report that they don’t experience the same degree of improvement when they are speaking with a counselor over the phone or video.
- If you don’t have a phone or a smart device, it can be impossible to download one of these apps.
How These Apps are Changing the Mental Health Space
The advent of these apps is having a huge impact on the mental health space across the world. There are a number of reasons for this.
- It’s influencing the way that therapists and counselors are able to do business.
- Some therapists have found this to be a great improvement. By joining up with online therapy apps, they are able to reach clients all across the world. They may make less per session, but since they reach more clients and have to spend less time organizing, they can make more money.
- Some therapists have found this to be a detriment. Some therapists have lost clients to online therapy, and many are finding that the number of new clients is decreasing.
- Things are changing in regard to regulation. While any good mental health app requires that their counselors and therapists are qualified and trained, there is a growing demand for some sort of regulation regarding telehealth apps. Some say there should be a more clearly defined industry standard to prevent any malpractice.
Some of these services that offer these apps have shown quite the entrepreneurial spirit, while enabling therapists, who otherwise would not have had the opportunity, to become entrepreneurs of their own. Within a few years, the growth of this sector of mental health is projected to be enormous.
There’s no doubt that telehealth apps are changing the way that people look at therapy. There are many benefits to this type of therapy, and if you think that this is something that could benefit you or your family, then don’t hesitate to seek help.