Varisport, Inc. a sustainable corporation and green fitness manufacturer for the UltraSlide Slideboard
Listen to interview with host Eric Dye & guest Barry Slotnick discuss the following:
- We understand that the UltraSlide Slideboard is a sustainable product. What does that mean? In what ways are you going above and beyond just traditional recycling when it comes to sustainability?
- As an entrepreneur, what do you see as the biggest challenge of being a small business with a fairly niche product? How do you overcome challenges such as people not always being aware of its purpose and benefits?
- What do you see as the biggest long term impact of your green business practices?
- What impact has the UltraSlide had on the fitness world? How has the product continued to be relevant in an ever evolving industry?
- What’s in the works for UltraSlide? What can we expect to see in the near future from the brand?
Barry Slotnick graduated from Northwestern University in June of 1993. During his senior year, he built the first “UltraSlide” board for use as a cross-trainer for cycling. That fall he received additional inquiries about the UltraSlide for other sports training programs. The popularity and effectiveness of the UltraSlide inspired the development of a business. “Torch Enterprises” – later changed to “Varisport” – was incorporated in December of 1993. The Chicago Bulls were the first professional customer, taking delivery of a custom UltraSlide in January 1994.
As President of Varisport, Inc., he brings a strong entrepreneurial objective to expand the reach of the UltraSlide brand; provide more education and increase awareness on the benefits of the product line. Based on his passion for the environment and green business practices, he also maintains a sustainable operations and manufacturing model. Barry lives in Glencoe, Illinois with his wife, Natalie, and children, Ben and Carly.
[box_blue]Note: If you would like to listen to a podcast right away you can hear a sample by clicking on the “play” button on our podcasts page. If you would like to play our EPN – Entrepreneur Podcast Network programming later or take it on the road, you will first need to subscribe to and download our podcast programming using the subscription software on your computer, such as itunes. Then you will have to transfer the podcast file to your portable media device. We recommend the following subscription software for the best user experience: