Ryan Morgan, the president of the Morgan Advisory Group, a sports agency firm joins Enterprise Radio. MAG represents professional athletes in various professional sports such as the NFL, Major League Baseball, beach volleyball, olympic athletes and others.
- Tell our audience about Morgan Advisory, your sports agency firm. How did you get started, what does your firm do and where do you hope to take the firm over the next few years?
- Why don’t you give our audience a few examples of some success stories of how you have represented professional football, baseball players, Olympic athletes over the years and the things that you deal with as an agent on a day to day basis, whether it’s the nfl draft, free agency and other items that players and agents go through.
- As an entrepreneur, who started your own sports agency firm, what advice do you have for entrepreneurs or someone that’d thinking of starting their own business?
- What has been the most memorable moment as a sports agent?
- What’s the process like in terms of recruiting players to be represented by you and your firm? What’s the competition for player representation like?
- What are the advantages for a sports agency such as yours representing professional athletes in so many different sports?
- How has the sports agency and representation business changed throughout the years, especially since you first got started in the business.
- Are there any differences representing professional athletes In the various sports. What’s the difference between representing a professional athlete in the NFL, MLB or professional beach volleyball.
- By representing so many athletes – how do you keep track of everyone and their day to day work, is it all about having a good team around you. Can you talk a little about that and the importance of a good team around you to be successful.
- When you started your business what are the most important decisions that you made early on to get to where you are today and be successful.
Well versed as a deal maker, Ryan attended Boston College, where he graduated as a member of Phi Beta Kappa with a major in Political Philosophy and 17th century British Literature. Ryan earned his law degree at the University of California at Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) while focusing on contract law and corporate law. Ryan was awarded the “Best Overall Participant” in Boalt’s Moot Court Program for his section.
Prior to founding MAG, Ryan worked at Morrison & Foerster, one of the premier law firms in the country. At “MoFo”, he represented individuals and corporations in complex transactions valued at hundreds of millions of dollars, including the purchase of the San Jose Sharks NHL Hockey Club. Ryan has been the sole contract representative and licensing agent for two-time US Olympic Gold Medalist Kerri Walsh during her entire beach volleyball career. Ryan recently negotiated a player contract extension that covers the 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Beach Volleyball contract seasons for the US Professional Tour — the agreement and related initiatives have been hailed in the sports industry as “groundbreaking.”
When he is not in the office working on deals for MAG clients, Ryan teaches Sports Law with MAG’s Director of Football Operations, Wynn Silberman at the Santa Clara University School of Law. Mr. Morgan has successfully concluded hundreds of deals since founding the company. Ryan has been a National Football League Players Association certified contract advisor since the year 2000, a MLBPA Certified Agent since 2005 and is a member of both the Sports Lawyers’ Association and the business law group of the California State Bar Association.
Recently, Ryan has negotiated major product endorsement deals or other contracts for clients with companies such as Gatorade, Under Armour, NIKE, AT&T, Reebok, 24 Hour Fitness, Smart Parts, CEBE Sunglasses, Hilton, Speedo, Wilson, Sirius Satellite Radio, Bollé, Oakley, Visa, Sideout, Crocs, Farmer’s Insurance, Hall’s, K2, JT USA, McDonald’s, PowerPlay Corporation, Smart Water, Vero, Accenture, Red Bull, Gallo Wineries, Murad, Soarion Studios, dick clark productions, inc., Sony, NXe, Pinkin de Corozal, FIVB, Rockstar, Breakthrough Nutrition Inc., Intel, Lenovo, Banana Boat, AVP, FIVB and many others. Ryan and MAG have negotiated or discussed player contracts with every NFL Team & MLB team.
Related Web Site: www.morganAG.com
[box_blue]Note: If you would like to listen to a podcast right away you can hear a sample by clicking on the “play” button on our podcasts page. If you would like to play your podcast later or take it on the road, you will first need to subscribe to and download the podcast using the subscription software on your computer, such as itunes. Then you will have to transfer the podcast file to your portable media device. We recommend the following subscription software for the best user experience: