Melbourne Cup Horses 2021: A Brief Guide
The Melbourne Cup is one of the most remarkable events for the global horse racing community. If you’re a fan, then on the first Tuesday of November, you’ll join millions of other fans in cheering for your favourite horse at the Flemington Racecourse in Victoria, Australia. (1)
If you’re a punter or a cheering fan, you’d want to back a horse with winning prospects. On that account, this article highlights some of the most promising Melbourne Cup horses for this year’s race:
- Twilight Payment
A total of twenty-four horses will be on the list of Melbourne Cup runners. One of the top favorites is Twilight Payment. This is a 58kg bay mare with rich horse racing roots. He was foaled on May 6th, 2013, in Ireland to Teofilo, the undefeated European Champion of 2006. Twilight Payment is trained by Joseph Patrick O’Brien, and the jockey for this year’s Melbourne Cup will be Jye McNeil. (2)
Ever since his career took effect in 2016, the horse has won a total of eight races, including last year’s Melbourne Cup. His winning percentage is estimated at 24%, with the most significant win of his career being on July 16th 2016, in the Kilsaran International maiden race. The horse won AUD$ 6,614 in prize money. For his entire career, it has summed up a total of AUD$ 5,842,805 in prize money. (3)
For in-depth analysis and reviews on this and other horses, you could also watch the videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/PuntersAustralia.
This is a 5-year-old bay gelding foaled on October 22nd, 2016, in Australia. His sire is the stallion Shamus Award, and dam Miss Argyle. He has a weight of 57 kgs. He’s trained by Peter Moody and is expected to be ridden by Brett Prebble in this year’s Melbourne Cup.
With a winning percentage of 69%, he’s categorised among the best horses. Throughout his career, he has amassed AUD$ 5,743,300 in earnings. His most significant win to date was early this year, during the Maiden HCP, held on April 11th at Sunshine Coast, where he won AUD$ 22,000. (4)
- Spanish Mission
Foaled on April 6th 2016, in the United States, this 57 kg bay stallion is trained by Andrew Balding, and his jockey for the Melbourne Cup this year will be Craig Williams.
Over his career, Spanish Mission has had a total of 14 races, with a winning percentage standing at 33%. His career earnings sum up to AUD$ 2,642,657. His most significant win was back in 2018 at the Bet Totequadpot at Totesport.Com Conditions Stakes (Plus 10), where he won prize money worth AUD$ 9,704. (5)
- Verry Elleegant
This is a 57kg New Zealand bred brown mare. She was foaled on October 12th, 2015, from the sire Zed. She’s owned by Brae Sokolski and trained by Chris Waller. This year, the jockey will be James McDonald.
Verry Elleegant is recognised as a talented horse, with a winning percentage of 44%. She has accumulated a total of AUD$ 14,090,774 in career earnings. Her most significant win to date was on August 12th 2018, at Ruakaka for the Nzb Insurance Pearl Series Mdn, where she won AUD$ 10,000 worth of prize money. (6)
- Other horses
Here’s a brief outline of the rest of the horses lined up for the Melbourne Cup race:
53kg-54kg weight bracket
- Persan: A 53kg Australian brown gelding whose jockey will be Luke Currie.
- Knights Order: A 53 kg Irish brown gelding who’ll be ridden by Daniel Stackhouse.
- Jonny Get Angry: Weighs 53 kg. She’s a New Zealand bay gelding whose jockey will be Lachlan King.
- Selino: A 53.5kg bay gelding whose jockey will be Ron Stewart.
- Ocean Billy: A 53.5kg chestnut gelding who’ll be tussled by Damien Thornton
- Delphi: A 53.5kg bay stallion whose jockey will be Damien Oliver.
- The Chosen One: A 54kg bay stallion whose jockey will be Damian Lane.
- Explosive Jack: A 54kg bay stallion from New Zealand who’ll be tussled by John Allen.
52kg-52.5kg weight bracket
- She’s Ideel: An Australian bay mare weighing 52kg. Her jockey will be Bjorn Baker
- Port Guillaume: A 52kg bay gelding from France whose jockey will be Harry Coffey.
- Miami Bound: A 52kg bay mare from New Zealand who’ll be ridden by Patrick Moloney.
- Grand Promenade: A 52kg British bay gelding whose jockey will be Kerrin McEvoy.
- Pondus: Ms Rachel King will be the jockey of this 52.5kg bay gelding from Great Britain.
- Master of Wine: This German bay gelding weighing 52.5kg will be tussled by Fred Kersley.
- Carif: A 52.5kg Australian brown gelding whose jockey will be Blaike McDougall.
50kg-51.5kg weight bracket
- Sir Lucan: Glen Boss will be the jockey of this 50kg Irish bay colt from Ireland.
- Great House: A 50kg Irish bay gelding. He’ll be ridden by Michael Dee.
- Floating Artist: A 50kg British bay gelding whose jockey will be Teodore Nugent.
- Tralee Rose: A 51kg bay mare from New Zealand. Her jockey will be Dean Holland.
- Future Score: A 51.5kg black gelding from Ireland. He’ll be ridden by Dean Yendall.
On November 2nd at 3 pm, 24 Melbourne Cup horses will line up at Flemington Racecourse, waiting to show their expertise in the tracks. Some of the top favourites include Twilight Payment, Incentivise, Spanish Mission, and Verry Elleegant.
So, if you’re a punter, you now have an idea of the competing horses. You can use this information to make your bet and cross your fingers so the horse specifications will be a major determinant in their winning, and thus, your winning.
- “Melbourne Cup: Vow And Declare Wins Australia’s Most Prestigious Horse Race,” https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/05/sport/melbourne-cup-vow-and-declare-intl-hnk/index.html
- “Horse Profile. Twilight Payment (IRE),” https://www.skysports.com/racing/form-profiles/horse/928120/twilight-payment-ire
- “Twilight Payment,” https://www.racenet.com.au/profiles/horse/twilight-payment-ire
- “Profiles. Incentivise,” https://www.racenet.com.au/profiles/horse/incentivise-aus
- “Profiles. Spanish Mission,” https://www.racenet.com.au/profiles/horse/spanish-mission-usa
- “Profiles. Verry Elleegant,” https://www.racenet.com.au/profiles/horse/verry-elleegant-nz