A Legend in Design, Callie van der Merwe
Callie van der Merwe, Founding Partner of Design Partnership, a Retail, Services and Hospitality agency focussed in the Physical Channel with Strategy, Design and Build at its core joins Enterprise Radio.
Listen to host Eric Dye & guest Callie van der Merwe discuss the following:
- Can you tell the audience a bit about your career path that led you from being a legend in design in South Africa, on the cover of Entrepreneur magazine and now a disrupter in Australia?
- What is your biggest frustration with the retail sector and their approach to in-store design?
- How do you explain to clients the importance of linking human behaviour with their design strategy?
- What has been the most exciting thing you have seen for a restaurant who has truly understood the link between human behavior and design?
- What is your design advice to business owners who want to increase revenue regardless of industry?
Callie is the Founding Partner of Design Partnership, a Retail, Services and Hospitality agency focussed in the Physical Channel with Strategy, Design and Build at its core. With offices based in Johannesburg and Cape Town South Africa, the group expanded to open in Sydney in 2016. As recognised leaders and multiple award winners in their field, their work has been covered extensively in the media and the partners are interviewed and quoted regularly as authorities in their field.
Position: Founding Partner, Design Partnership. 1994
Qualifications: 1991. B.Build, B.Arch.
Judge: Pg Bison Student award 2000 to 2015, Judge RDDA 2008 to 2018, Loeries Judge 2011, PG Bison Awards. Developed 2011 brief, IID Vice President 2012, University of Pretoria. External Moderator. 2012 to 2015, Greenside Design School. External moderator 2013 to 2015
Awards: Everite Facades 1992, Super Star (2006, 2008), PG Bison 1994, SA Institute Of Architects Citation 1997, Cube awards 2004. 1st place + award of excellence. RDDA 1st place in 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2018. Silver Loerie awards, Nandos. 2015. Yacht & Aviation Finalist Italy 2017. Restaurant & Bar Design Awards shortlists 2018
People also listened to this: The PAGES Chair: A New Page in Design and Innovation