Roman shades in Toronto are often considered to be a good choice if one is looking to ramp up the visuals of a space, be it an enclosed porch, sun room or living room. They have a timeless quality most other window coverings simply can’t compete with, they come in a variety of textures and colours and their typically large sections are a useful tool in creating proportional balance with other components of the decor. But they are more than just a way to enhance the aesthetics of a space. They also provide an array of practical benefits that often go overlooked.
The Many Oft-Overlooked Benefits of Roman Shades
Roman window shades are a type of fabric window covering that typically use a cord system of opening and closing and fold up into themselves in a “stack”. They’ve become increasingly popular in recent years for their outstanding aesthetic qualities but they also provide a variety of practical benefits as well. Here are 7:
- They Reduce Energy Costs – In the summertime radiant heat from the sun coming through windows puts a strain on your air conditioning system and increases energy consumption. This type of window shade does an excellent job of blocking sunlight and making the job of the air conditioner easier, which saves energy. Likewise in the winter Roman window shades help keep the heat you pay so dearly for inside where it belongs. Again, reducing energy consumption.
- They Require Very Little Maintenance – Unlike other window treatments Roman fabric shades require very little by way of maintenance. All you really need to do is give them a quick once over using the fabric brush on the vacuum cleaner a few times a year and they’re good to go. Compare that to heavy custom drapery or even Venetian blinds.
- They’re Extremely Versatile – Roman window shades aren’t just for the enclosed veranda or living room. Their simple elegance makes them an excellent choice for virtually any room in the house including the bathroom, dining area, kitchen and bedrooms where they add a light, airy quality that enhances the feeling of relaxation and rejuvenation.
- They Enhance Safety – Roman window shades are most often installed with a simple cord mechanism for opening and closing. But if you have young children you know that cords can represent a significant safety risk. Enter the cordless Roman shade. This type of shade does away with the cord altogether and uses a discreet and nearly silent motor to lift and lower the shade thereby removing the cord danger and making your entire home not only more beautiful and energy efficient, but safer for everyone.
- They’re Convenient – Whether your shades use a cord or a cordless opening mechanism they open in a snap with very little effort. With a corded opening the motion is silky smooth and ultra-reliable. Far more so than Venetian blinds or heavy, elaborate drapery that can be a chore to open and tie back. With cordless blinds things get even easier. Your Roman window shades are typically wired together to open as a group and the motion is even and controlled with each shade folding up perfectly and closing to its ideal location. No more trying to make the different shades even. They do it themselves.
- They Last a Long Time – Like the empire which gives them their name Roman window shades were built to last. Their timeless elegance means that they’ll not only last from a physical standpoint, they’ll also stand up to changing tastes and decor trends. The best way to ensure your shades will remain aesthetically relevant as the years pass is to choose a simple, elegant fabric. By opting for style over fashion in this way you’ll ensure the window shades you install today look just as good and just as up-to-date years from now. This will provide the added benefit of saving you the cost of having to replace them to stay current.
- They’ll Increase the Market Value of Your Home – This is particularly relevant if you plan to put your home on the market in the next few years. Potential homebuyers typically look at a lot of homes during their search. Anything you can do to make your home stand out in their minds in a positive way will help attract potential buyers and increase the likelihood of you receiving high quality offers. Roman window shades are a simple, often unexpected visual treat most potential homebuyers will remember long after they’ve made the tour of your home.
Roman shades make sense no matter what angle you consider them from. They’ll make your home more welcoming and comfortable, they’ll save you energy in both summer and winter, cordless shades add an air of modern sophistication as well as safety and you can install them in virtually any room of the house. Contact Sarit Arnesty Custom Drapery to learn more.