Thomas Duncan, CEO of Trusted Health Plan Inc. your Washington D.C. based Managed Healthcare Organization joins Enterprise Radio. Their task is to make sure that you and your eligible family members are enrolled and receiving Medicaid or Alliance Benefits. Their mission is to help their D.C. neighbors receive the care and services needed to lead a long and healthy life.
This episode of Enterprise Radio is in association with eDC (Greater Washington, D.C. Entrepreneurs).
Listen to host Eric Dye & guest Thomas Duncan discuss the following:
- Tell us about Trusted Heath Plan, how it was started and what you do for your members of your managed healthcare organization?
- Being a CEO yourself, what does it take to be an effective leader and CEO of a company or organization such as yours?
- Who were some of your mentors or role models in the healthcare industry or elsewhere that you looked up to and gave you great advice to help make you who you are today?
- What are your thoughts on the Affordable Care Act, commonly called Obamacare. Is it positive or negative? What are the overall good or bad things that you feel it will do or accomplish.
- Since you’re in the healthcare field everyday what do you feel are some of the needs that still need to be addressed.
- What can we do to improve our approach to healthcare in this country?
- Where do you see our country’s healthcare system being in the next 10 to 20 years?
- How did you compare our country’s healthcare system with the UK or other European countries?
- You began your healthcare experience at a small community hospital in Detroit, what do you take from that experience that you still remember and use to this day.
- What advice would you have for other folks to looking to enter the healthcare industry and also for our future leaders and CEOs of America.
Thomas Duncan – CEO, Trusted Health Plan (District of Columbia) Inc.
Thomas Duncan attended Florida A & M University, School of Business, graduating Magna Cum Laude with an MBA. He began his healthcare career at a small community based hospital in Detroit, Michigan. Using analytics and metrics he built a stellar interdisciplinary team which created two profit centers for the hospital; a multi-specialty clinic serving over 10,000 patients and a 68 bed mental health unit. The mental health unit became licensed and JACHO certified within 9 months serving almost exclusively uninsured patients. Building on his success in team building serving the uninsured he then developed a company to serve the “underinsured”, Community Care LLC.
Through analysis of patient utilization patterns with and without care management and personal coaching, Thomas developed an initial approach to changing patients’ health behaviors utilizing partnerships with their providers. His next entrepreneurial venture was Care Compensation Specialists which specialized in Medicaid, TANF, ABAD, and SSI enrollment. This venture was immediately successful and resulted in a sale to Accretive Health (ticker AH) via a stock swap in July, 2007. He managed Medicaid revenue of over $900,000,000 for over 45 hospitals and delivered over $700 million in reimbursements previously uncovered.
Thomas M. Duncan is convinced that Medicaid based Managed Care Organizations not only have the opportunity but the responsibility to substantively improve the health outcomes of each of its members. Through years of experience Duncan has developed a model for managed care organizations to drive results by changing health behaviors using analytics, metrics and community based, personal outreach.