Jerry L. Mills, CPA, the founder, CEO and managing partner of B2B CFO® (B2B) joins Enterprise Radio. He founded the company in 1987. Today they he has more than 200 partners working in 45 states with 800+ small and mid market businesses.
Listen to interview with host Eric Dye & guest Jerry L. Mills discuss the following:
- You pioneered the “CFO for hire” concept when you first launched B2B CFO twenty five years ago. Please share what inspired you to come up with this idea and how did you figure out the financial model for it?
- Over the course of 25 years, you’ve created an incredible company. Tell me what sets B2B CFO apart from other companies that provide similar services?
- Obviously, such success comes at a price. Lots of copy-cats try to take what you’ve built. I hear that your company caught multiple cases of others stealing your web-content, and even your name? can you share with us how do you go about catching such instances and how do you prevent them from happening in the future?
- But it’s not just strangers that copy from you, in fact, your company just won a case against a former Partner who stole your intellectual property and ended up with a $220,000 settlement in your favor, can you tell us about what you learned through this long legal battle?
- What was the hardest lesson for you and for your company through this ordeal?
- What advice would you give other business owners about protecting their intellectual property?
- How has going through this legal battle make you a better business person and a stronger entrepreneur?
- Where do you see your company heading in the near future and what are your key business goals?
Jerry L. Mills, CPA, is the founder, CEO and managing partner of B2B CFO® (B2B). He founded the company in 1987.
As the founder of B2B, Mills was instrumental in the planning and development of the company from its inception to its growing national presence today. Among his key responsibilities, Mills is in charge of the development of B2B’s intellectual property as well as the methodology that its partners use to serve their clients. He has also been the visionary for the creation of propriety software and tools used by B2B’s partners in the firm’s intranet, which is a state-of-the art software tool for client development and service.
In his role as the CEO of B2B, Mills is responsible for the strategic planning of the firm on a national level. This includes the oversight of marketing, public relations, direction for SEO and online-related presence, as well as legal and intellectual property development. Mills also plays a vital role in recruitment and training of new partners. He personally handles the initial training session for each partner and coordinates the subsequent training sessions. The B2B partner training is a four to six month process.
In addition to his role as Founder and CEO, Mills is also a partner in B2B. In this capacity he serves as the part-time CFO of more than a dozen clients with combined annual sales of approximately $200 million. A seasoned senior level executive, he has been the CFO and business advisor to clients in numerous industries, including software development, retail, construction, service, medial, orthodontics, legal, manufacturing, automobile training, corporate event & entertainment staging, technology, automobile transportation, and entertainment.
Prior to founding B2B, Mills was a manager at Arthur Andersen & Co. in the firm’s Small Business Division. His duties included planning, managing and supervising audits and general business planning for AA& Co. clients. Before leaving the firm he managed one of the largest engagements in the history of the Arizona office, receiving an outstanding rating for management and delegation. He credits AA & Co. for much of his formal education in accounting and business and is proud to be an alumnus of that firm.
Mills is the author of The Danger Zone – Lost in the Growth Transition, and Avoiding The Danger Zone – Business Illusions, both business non-fiction books. He is also a frequent speaker, and a contributor. His expertise in small business finance, cash flow and exit strategies has landed him in various media outlets such as Fox Business, NY Times, Smart Money, Business Week, and Entrepreneur Magazine, among many others.
Mills was quoted in the Wall Street Journal’s Complete Small Business Guidebook, released by Random House in December of 2009.
Mills graduated with an accounting degree from Arizona State University in 1978.
Prior to receiving his college education, Mills had the opportunity to experience some incredible real-life lessons while he lived in Asunción, Paraguay and Montevideo, Uruguay from 1972 to 1974. He was in Paraguay when Alfredo Strossner was the dictator. Mills learned many life-time lessons in visiting the homes of the extreme poor and extreme rich of that country. While in Uruguay, Mills witnessed the revolution of the Tupamaros, a radical group, and had witnessed the violence of that turbulent time first-hand when a person covered in blood barged into his apartment moments after his next door neighbor, a doctor, was killed in the revolt. Mills counts the meeting the people of Uruguay and Paraguay as one of the most significant highlights in his life.
Mills and his family reside in Gilbert, Arizona. He is married and has four children and four grandchildren.