Opportunities are everywhere, why the Middle East and North Africa?
Cynthia Dearin, Managing Director at Dearin & Associates, which specializes in business consulting services, business matching and government relations, with a focus on the Middle East & North Africa joins Enterprise Radio.
Listen to host Eric Dye & guest Cynthia Dearin discuss the following:
- Your company is an international trade consultancy … what exactly does Dearin & Associates do?
- When you look around the world, there are lots of markets that companies could expand to. With all the unrest going on in the Middle East at present, it seems like a pretty unlikely target … are you really suggesting that companies should be looking to expand there?
- What kind of commercial opportunities that are on offer in the Middle East and North Africa region?
- What kinds of challenges can businesspeople expect to face?
- You’ve written a book about doing business in the Middle East and North Africa region, Camels, Sheikhs and Billionaires: Your Guide to Business Culture in the Middle East and North Africa, tell us about that.
- If you could give one piece of advice to businesspeople thinking of expanding into emerging markets, what would it be?
Cynthia began her career after law school as a political officer with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. She was posted to Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar as a diplomat, an experience which spurred an abiding love for the Arab world.
After completing a master’s degree in Middle Eastern politics at the University of London’s School of Asian and African Studies (SOAS), Cynthia crossed over to the private sector and became a management consultant. She completed consulting engagements with Adam Smith International, BearingPoint (KPMG consulting) and Grant Thornton in the UK, the United States, Iraq, Pakistan, the UAE, and Jordan.
Most recently, Cynthia served as the first female CEO of the Australia Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry, a peak level trade organization in Australia, where she led a complete branding and strategic reorganization.
As Managing Director at Dearin & Associates, Cynthia specializes in business consulting services, business matching and government relations, with a focus on the Middle East & North Africa. She also lectures at the La Trobe Law School in Melbourne.
Cynthia commentates on topics associated with international trade, the Middle East and North Africa, and is the author of Camels, Sheikhs and Billionaires: Your Guide to the Business Culture of the Middle East and North Africa. She speaks English, French and Arabic.
Dearin & Associates helps clients to succeed in international markets using our seven-step Framework for Export Success. We work with companies to ensure that they are:
- Ready to enter a new market
- Sure that they have chosen the right market
- Confident that their product or service will work in that market
- Familiar with what customers in the new market want
- Equipped to deal with the cultural nuances of the target market
- Up-to-date on the regulatory framework of the target market
- Prepared to implement a carefully designed export strategy