Making a positive difference and inspiring the United States Armed Forces for over 11 years
Mark Woods, Founder and CEO of Operation Troop Aid that provides care packages for our deployed U.S. Service members with the revenue generated through professional concert promotions and public financial generosity joins Enterprise Radio.
Listen to interview with host Eric Dye & guest Mark Woods discuss the following:
- Why don’t you tell our audience about Operation Troop Aid. How you got started, what does the organization do and where do you hope to take the organization over the next few years?
- I recently read a press release about Operation Troop Aid starting a college fund to support children of Blue Angel Captain Jeff Kuss. Can you tell us why you created the fund, what got you and your organization interested in this particular case & how much do you hope to raise.
- Do you if any other organizations and/or the military are assisting the Kuss family during this difficult time?
- You have served in the military for a number of years. Can you tell our audience about the bond that exists there. One man helping another during difficult times, such as the way you and your organization are assisting the Kuss family.
- Why don’t you give us a few examples of some success stories of how your organization has helped make a difference with troops overseas and their families etc.
- How do you get support for your organization all around the country when you’re competing against many organizations for various causes etc. How do you get the message out and what do you do to get people to donate funds or goods to your organization for care packages etc.
- You served in the Navy for over 20 years. What does a fellow soldier that serving his or her country overseas feel when they get a care package sent to them & what’s included in your care packages.
- As an entrepreneur, who started your own organization to help the troops, what advice do you have for entrepreneurs or someone that thinking of starting their own business?
- Where can people contribute to the fund?
About Operation Troop Aid:
Founded in 2004 by 21-year military veteran, Mark Woods, Operation Troop Aid promotes entertainment initiatives and provides care packages for U.S. Troops with revenue generated through event promotions and public financial generosity. OTA is a nonprofit corporation striving to make a positive difference and inspire the United States Armed Forces by letting them know Americans stand with them. Operation Troop Aid is a certified IRS approved charity.
Mark Woods grew up in Memphis, Tennessee, and out of a genuine sense of patriotism and love for his country, decided to join the military. With a desire to travel, Mark chose the Navy as the ideal way to serve and see the world. He served 21 years, retiring in 2008.
It was September 2001, when Mark started to chart the course of creating TROOP AID (TM)/Operation Troop Aid (OTA), Inc. Having been on deployment during the horrific attacks of 9-11, he and his shipmates watched as the second plane hit the World Trade Center. They were on station and ready for any action the president required of them.
Previously during that deployment, Mark was the coordinator and escort for an onboard concert by Chad Brock, a CMA recording artist. After the events of 9-11, he received an e-mail from the military concert coordinators that Garth Brooks wanted to do a concert onboard and televise it nationwide. Mark was again assigned to work as the assistant coordinator. He toured Garth around the ship and met all of his entourage. This experience was extremely enlightening, and Garth inspired Mark to use music and entertainment initiatives for charity.
Upon transferring from that command to shore duty in 2003, Mark began to coordinate benefits for Toys for Tots and Military Appreciation. One night Mark was awakened by a vivid dream and immediately searched the Internet for the name “OPERATION TROOP AID.” Finding it nowhere, he retained a lawyer to become incorporated and submitted the IRS Non-Profit 501(c)(3) paperwork, to which he was granted incorporation and charity status in the state of Tennessee and was then awarded IRS 501(c)(3) status. He later transferred to Virginia and continued the TROOP AID (TM) mission.
Mark’s dream is to turn OTA into the “Premier Care Package and Bill Assistance Charity” for U.S. Troops, by using major concert promotions and entertainment initiatives and branch TROOP AID (TM) out all over the country. He has worked tirelessly and assembled all the right players and is now seeking corporate sponsors. The mission of OTA is to make a positive difference and inspire deployed U.S. service members by letting them know America stands with them. Headed up by Woods, Operation Troop Aid provides care packages and bill assistance with revenue generated through professional concert promotions, entertainment initiatives and public financial generosity. To date, the organization has sent care packages valued at a total of more than $1 million to U.S. service men and women.