Hoffman Academy’s innovative model for online piano lessons is creating new possibilities for music education
Joseph Hoffman the Founder and CEO of Hoffman Academy, an online music program designed to give families access to high quality education at a small fraction of the price of traditional lessons joins Enterprise Radio.
Listen to host Eric Dye & Joseph Hoffman guest discuss the following:
- You founded Hoffman Academy in 2007 in Portland, Oregon, as a music school for traditional piano lessons. Why did you decide to expand and take Hoffman Academy online?
- What is unique about the Hoffman Academy approach?
- You have a lot of content that you offer for free. Why did you decide to go with a freemium model, and how has that been working for you?
- You seem to rank very well for your target keywords on Google searches (piano lessons online, learn piano online). How did you do that?
- What do you see as the major challenges of getting people to try a new (online) approach to music lessons?
- What’s next for Hoffman Academy?
Joseph Hoffman, creator and CEO of Hoffman Academy, is passionate about making music accessible, fun, and relevant for kids and adults. His unique Hoffman Method provides a rigorous and complete music education, while appealing to a child’s natural curiosity and playful spirit.
After graduating with a Master of Music in 2005, Joseph Hoffman was appointed as faculty in BYU’s School of Music, where he taught music theory and conducting for 2 years. In 2007, Mr. Hoffman decided to pursue a lifelong dream and moved with his wife Kelly and their two sons to Portland, Oregon to start a music academy.
Soon Mr. Hoffman realized that there was a greater demand for piano lessons than he was able to satisfy, and so the idea was born to provide piano lessons online.
Mr. Hoffman and his wife decided that they wanted every video lesson to be free, so there would be no barrier to any child in the world who wanted to learn to play the piano. The only thing they would charge for were the lesson materials, which Mr. Hoffman created to supplement and reinforce the learning in the video lessons. The very first video lesson went live on January 2, 2010.
In early 2016, Mr. Hoffman completed a successful Kickstarter campaign to fund the development of a whole new online music learning experience, and in 2017 he launched Hoffman Academy 2.0, which integrates the video lessons with progress tracking, practice instructions, and online learning games.
Mr. Hoffman has uploaded over 160 video lessons, viewed over 7 million times by piano students around the world, and he’s always actively creating new lessons, learning materials, and games for his online academy.