Podcast: Play in new window
Calling With Uncommon Courtesy
with Dr. Bill Lampton
There are 6 billion cell phone subscribers scattered around the world. Yet judging by what we see and hear in both business and social settings, only a small percentage of those subscribers use their phones without offending other people.
Stated more positively, you will become a caller respected for your uncommon courtesy by following at a minimum five rather simple steps:
1. Limit your listening audience to one person.
2. Respect the other person’s convenience, not yours.
3. Remember, it’s a phone, not a megaphone.
4. Mention the caller’s name when you answer.
5. Tell only part of your story on your voice message.
Note: If you would like to listen to a podcast right away you can hear a sample by clicking on the “play” button on our podcasts page. If you would like to play your podcast later or take it on the road, you will first need to subscribe to and download the podcast using the subscription software on your computer, such as itunes. Then you will have to transfer the podcast file to your portable media device. We recommend the following subscription software for the best user experience:
- iTunes – available for windows and mac
- Juice – available for windows (2000 or XP), mac (OS 10.3 or higher) and linux/gnu